Saturday, March 1, 2014

Two Reviews


I just finished reading Kicks Like a Girl, by Melissa Westemeier (is it legal to have that many “e”s in your name?), who I got to know initially as Green Girl in Wisconsin.



This is a very fun read, with a great mix of well-drawn supporting characters.  The protagonist, Gretchen, owns a flower shop in the Boston area, and the story centers around a break-in at her shop and the two men she meets in the aftermath. It's a lot of fun to follow along as Gretchen learns her own strengths and needs as she handles the details of being responsible for her own business and learns Karate. I've found that Gretchen stayed in my head after finishing the book, which is always a nice way to savor a book after you've finished reading it :-) I know some of you who read my blog have already purchased the book, but if you haven't, I'd highly recommend it! You can contact Melissa at her blog (Green Girl in Wisconsin) or order the book through Amazon.

 Second review: Last night we watched the movie "Enough Said" (September 2013). It's a romantic comedy where the two main characters are older. Late 40s maybe? When we first started watching it, I remember thinking about how much easier it is to be starting a romance when you're older, but by the end of the film I was thinking --no, it's not any easier. I thought this was an excellent film --I was really struck by how well Julia Louis-Dreyfus inhabited the character of Eva, and I love Toni Collette in everything I've ever seen her in. All of the supporting characters were also so well written and acted. Just a really great movie.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read Melissa's book and I have heard great things about that movie as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out!
    Yeah--when I spell my name for people I feel like I'm stuck in the chorus of "Old MacDonald"--e-i-e-i-o. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Melissa's book this afternoon -- loved it! -- and am going to get going on my review. The movie sounds good, too. The idea of dating right now is, frankly, exhausting. I'm glad I don't have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about that movie. And "kicks like a girl"- what a fun title!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun book, and thanks for the movie recommendation. I remember seeing ads for this one when it was in the theaters, but by the time movies make it to DVD's, I often forget what it was I really wanted to see:)

    ReplyDelete