Friday, August 8, 2014

A Not So Great Week

A week ago, I was feeling really good --I could walk around the house without my cane, my exercises were going very well, I had gone grocery shopping (grocery carts make great walkers, so it's a good way to walk with support). Then, last Saturday, I started having pain in my right knee (the same side as the newest hip) that was so sharp my knee wouldn't support me. We all get weird pains like that once in a while (right? right??) so I used my cane and figured it would go away. It was only a problem for walking --I could still do all my PT exercises. Then, on Sunday I developed pain in a tooth that has long had a deep filling and sometimes gets bruised if I crunch down on that side. I figured I'd bruised it again, stopped chewing anything difficult, and waited for it to get better.

On Monday, I was doing my PT exercises, but when I started to stand up from the floor, using a chair and my arms to help, the muscle on the top of my thigh felt like it ripped in half. I rearranged my legs and managed to get myself to a standing position, but I now can't use that muscle to raise my leg. I iced it immediately, but it's going to take a while to heal.

The tooth pain didn't get better. It got so bad that it took pretty amazing amounts of Tylenol (the only pain med I could take) to make it even bearable. Earlier we had decided that Tuesday would work in our schedules for car-shopping, something that was necessary since the Corolla was just too low for me to comfortably drive. So, with half my face throbbing and leaning heavily on my cane because of my knee and thigh muscle, I made it through Tuesday and ended up with a new car. It should have been a fun day, but I was too distracted from the pain.

Weds morning I got in to see my dentist, and an hour later had scheduled an emergency root canal for that afternoon. I also had a prescription for a 7 day dose of antibiotics, plus a prescription for a 4-pill dose before each dental procedure (2 for the root canal and then one more for the crown). 

The dentist who did the root canal said "yeah, you have a pretty good infection going here" as he was working away. He also asked if I'd been experiencing any pain in my hip, since the systemic inflammation associated with the infection could be affecting other joints. Um, what about a knee?

So, even though I am now driving this:
And it has more bells and whistles than I ever dreamed of (it would have been a long wait for my first choice color (alien green) so they offered a slight upgrade for the same price), it was not a good week. Here's hoping that as the infection subsides, the knee pain will also subside and I can get back to working on becoming fully operational again!

10 comments:

  1. I've certainly experienced excruciating toothaches before, so you have my sympathy. I had no idea a tooth infection could cause other joint pain, though; I hope the root canal and antibiotics help to ease all those pains. Looking good in your new car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have voiced expletives against your pain. I hope you feel better SOOOOON. I can't imagine shopping for a car while undergoing all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no to all the pain and nasty stuff. But the car looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you! I have had the same situation with root canals/infections. I hope you're feeling better soon. Your new car is awesome and you look adorable sitting in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! Why isn't this post whinier? You deserve to whine all you want with the week you had. You also deserve a new book, a brick of chocolate, and some pretty new beads. Sheesh.

    Love the photo of you (and Emma, right? Do I see her there behind you?) in the car! Although I love the thought of having an alien green car, yours is just about the color of perfectly doctored coffee, and thus lovely. I hope it's the perfect height for ease of entry and exit to the car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sucks. I once had a sinus headache so bad, my teeth hurt (I actually called the dentist it was that bad) and my stomach hurt. Not at all like your crappy week, but, I do know how pain can carry all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry about all the pain. I hope this week is much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awful! I hope you are feeling better and that the inflammation decreases. What a mess. And isn't it amazing how a tooth problem can affect pain in other parts of your body? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had an emergency root canal once. I've never been in so much pain. I'm glad you got through it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you described the pain, I immediately thought "infection." Experience is a painful teacher. :(
    You look fabulous in your new ride (98,687 miles on our Kia and going strong -- I love our Kia!) but how you ever made it through that day of shopping I cannot imagine. I'm just glad that the toothy troubles were the cause of the leg/knee troubles because after all you've been through on the lower half of your body, you shouldn't have to suffer any more there!

    ReplyDelete