Saturday, August 16, 2014

Fitbit

So, a few weeks after surgery I bought a Fitbit Flex. At the time I was able to walk around the house without a cane, so I figured I'd be walking miles in no time :-) I might have been a tiny teeny little bit impatient?

I went for the lighter blue. It's almost a non-color, so I figure it won't clash with most things.
Whether it was connected to that tooth infection or not, I am still having some pain when I put my weight on my new hip, so I still need the cane and some pain meds to walk. I can walk around the house, stores, across parking lots, but only with the support of the cane. So, no 10,000 steps a day yet for me. Instead I've been averaging about 3500 steps a day. It's about 3000 if I stay home, and up around 4000 if I run an errand. Starting Monday I will be teaching four days a week. In addition to an hour of lecturing each day, I'll be walking around the lab, and around the building in order to make copies and get my mail, etc. I'll be interested to see if that adds significant steps. 

Even though I haven't been able to go out and walk just for exercise, I have still found that wearing the Fitbit does have an encouraging effect. In the back of my mind, I think about how getting up out of my chair and walking to the kitchen rather than asking Emma to retrieve an item is going to add steps to my daily total. Given both the slight physical pain and the frustration of doing everything one-handed (because of the cane), it's very helpful to have that added encouraging effect.

It was Jen's post about her Fitbit that made me decide to get one, and even though I'm not terribly mobile yet, I'm really glad I did. Being in constant pain for several years is a great way to work yourself into a really sedentary lifestyle. I think the Fitbit will help me change those habits and help my overall health.


9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got one. We should be friends on Fitbit so that we can cheer each other on. :-)

    I do find that even though I walk a lot, I would not necessarily move around much the rest of the day when I'm not on my walks. So the Fitbit reminds me that I need to get up from my desk and walk around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was helpful. I've been thinking about getting a Fitbit, possibly as a birthday gift to myself this winter, when I need the extra motivation to move around. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it a couple months from now, if you're still using it, any unforeseen problems, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a Fitbit is such a positive step. :-) I got one for my husband for his birthday because he said a lot of people at his work have them. Now I'm wanting one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday I'd love to count my steps for a day. It seems like that little wristband would be kind of a handy motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw them at Costco yesterday. Thinking about it...seems like it would be a good reminder for me to move more. Also it can track your sleep (or lack of) which would be interesting for me but I don't know how I'd feel about wearing it at night? Anyone have experience with that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. NPR had a story a couple of years ago, that the surest way to fitness is a pedometer to count your steps, and even all the reporters tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about getting one of these for myself. I really have no excuse for not walking every day, but I seem to think of plenty nevertheless:) I've thought all those steps toting wheelbarrows full of mulch surely must count for something. Glad to know this is an encouragement for you--getting motivated to move is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo. Maybe I should try one of those. Since my back injury, I'm far more sedentary than I used to be. Sounds like a good motivator.

    ReplyDelete